Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Making Paper Ruffles with Maja Designs!!

I'm so very excited to share with you a project today that I made with one of my favourite Maja collections "Vintage Summer Basics". I'm just crazy about the softly distressed designs and muted tones in this collection, and the sweet mini-florals put me in mind of a little girls ruffle dress! So I thought I would play with paper ruffles to decorate this layout that I made of my little great-niece Kiera.

To make the ruffles I chose 3 of the Vintage Summer patterned papers in shades starting from light to medium to dark and cut 2 x 12" strips of each (the strips were about 1.25" thick). I then glued together each of the pairs of strips to make 3 x 24" strips.
  TIP: I like to tear the two edges that I'm gluing together rather than attaching two cut edges, it helps give a more seamless look.
I then took each of the strips and lightly spritzed them with water and then began taking one edge and gathering them with my fingers. Be careful not to gather too deeply into the ruffle, you want the other edge to have a nice curvey edge. I then let the gathered paper dry thoroughly. Then I took some good strong two-sided sticky tape, opened out my ruffle again so it's flat and ran the sticky tape along the backside of the pleated edge. Now bring the ruffle back together, the tape will hold the ruffle together and will also create the adhesive to attach your ruffle to the page. Layer your ruffles from light to dark for a pretty effect. Here are a few close-up pic's of my page...

Supplies:
Patterned Paper: Maja, Vintage Summer Basics (1908-bs, 1911, 1920, 1922-bs), Chipboard: Dusty Attic Designs (NEW deVine Frame Set, and NEW Flutterbies #3), Flowers: Jolee Boutique, Prima, Dusty Attic and Recollections (nest/eggs). Other: lace trim, kitchen twine, pearl strand all off the roll from local fabric store, adhesive: Tombo 2 sided sticky tape strip.

A few people have asked me what that tattered sting stuff is that I use around my floral clusters.  It's a roll of yarn I bought at our Michaels craft shop, from the yarn area. I've posted a picture below so that you can see what it looks like.  A roll of this stuff goes a long long way and with a 40% off coupon, I think the whole roll cost me only like $3.00
 
I hope you give paper ruffles a try! The Maja papers are of such a high quality, thick and strong so they can take plenty of paper manipulating. The ruffle technique works beautifully on cards as well!
 

27 comments:

Romy said...

Wow, your ruffles look totally gorgeous! It's such a beautiful and sweet baby page!

Unknown said...

this is look pretty :))

Lizzyc said...

HI.. This layout is breathtakingly beautiful.. I just love that photo, I love the punched edge and the ruffles reminds me of a bassinet which I used when my children were babies and I had a frill around the outside just like the ruffles you have under your photo... Oh sweet memories! really a gorgeous layout.. dreamy and peaceful!! I hope your day is going great! So thrilled to read your comment on my blog too!! Thanks so much!!

Chernichka said...

Очень красивая странчка, не могу налюбоваться! Столько замечательных идей! Супер!!!

Margaret Mifsud said...

Beautiful layout. I love the ruffles they are really gorgeous. ox Marg

Sue said...

What an adorable page and an adorable baby too! The ruffles look like fabric, so beautiful and delicate and the colours are gorgeous.

Gitte said...

Wauw it looks beautiful.

scrapsylz said...

soooo beautiful, I will definitely give the ruffles a try!

Unknown said...

I just Love how this page turned out!
Love the butterflies. Thank you for sharing how to make paper ruffles!! I am going to have to try that.

Happy Crafting
Tracie

Lee-Anne said...

This is fabulous! I definitely want to give this a try. I really thought it was fabric but was pleasantly surprised when you used paper. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

So pretty! I love the softness that the ruffles give to this amazing layout.

Lynn said...

Absolutely gorgeous creation Gabi! WOW... you are amazing at new ideas and techniques!! Thanks for always sharing them!

Bonnie aka Cinnabon said...

beautiful, Gabi! Thanks so much for sharing that! Congrats on your new DT position!

Unknown said...

Absolutely STUNNINGLY gorgeous, Gabi~!! You do the romantic look so well :D,

Hope you are enjoying the new year!! Take care :),

xErin

Patty O'Malley said...

How beautiful is this! Look at those pretty butterflies, too. And the photo is so precious.

Cindy Gay said...

I love the ruffled border strips! Happy New Year!

Danii said...

OMG, this layout is so cute.

I'm following you for quite some time and I can only dream that I could make something like this :-)

Hugs, Danii

Carole Wright said...

Oh what a beautiful baby, and such a gorjuss layout. Congrats too by the way. Have a Happy New Year. BFN Caroleanne

Hilde said...

I love it!!!!! just love it!!
Big hug!

Unknown said...

So pretty! Which punch did your use for the border?

Rosana Garcia Hess said...

awesome!!! thanks for sharing!!!
I post on my FB page this tip
kisses from Brazil
Rosana

Anita said...

Absolutely gorgeous Gabrielle ~ I agree ~ your pages have the most stunning romantic look to them. Thank you so much for your tutorial ~ what a great idea!

Vicky Alberto said...

dropping in to say hi and gawk at the pretty posts recently. Been busy... need to catch up.

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Such a gorgeous page with such amazing attention to detail as always. Love the ruffles and appreciate the instructions!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I CANT believe thay are paper ..they look sooooo much like fabric..you are just amazing

Anonymous said...

Gabrielle, I just love your work! I made my version of your Ambrosia Mini album & really had fun with it! Sincerely, Tricia Southcomb

Unknown said...

This is really an art of hard working.

Laser Patent Agent

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails